Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Duck, Ducks and a White Dog

Saturday Drew and I went over to a friends' house and met up with the Stoys to go swimming. While we were swimming someone mentioned that they had a bunch of baby ducks, so Kendall and I got out and headed down to the pond to see them. The momma duck (I think they are called a Drakes?) came really close to us with her little ducklings. They were so cute!!! 10 little ducklings to be exact. I told Kendall that we should feed them. So, I headed up to the house to get some bread, I headed back down to the pond and Kendall said, "look they all came up to land!!"
Meanwhile, I had a little shadow.
One of these big guys (or gal, I'm not sure. There are 2.. one boy and one girl)! I can never tell them apart from a distance so we just call them "White Dogs."
I'm getting closer to Kendall and the ducks and they start heading back towards the water. I shout out to Kendall "cut them off."
Did I forget to mention that we wanted to catch the little duckies?! (man I wish we could have gotten this on video.) No?? Ok, we wanted to hold the cute little duckies.
Anywho, Kendall is herding the drake and the ducklings and I'm rounding out the tail end. All of a sudden the drake and the ducklings try to pull a fast one on us and start running towards the water!!
Then there were almost 9!!
The White Dog starts running towards the ducklings and catches one in its mouth!!!!! Holy moly, holy moly!! What to do, what to do?!?! Kendall decides to scream and squeal (poor city girl) and I start running after this dog screaming, "White Dog, let it go. DROP IT!! White Dog!!! STOPPP!!!!" The poor little duckling is quacking its little head off while I wrestle the White Dog and pry its mouth open.
YAY!!! The little duckling is free and headed to the pond with the rest of the duck family. Then, I yelled at the White Dog some more and told it "BAD DOG!!!" The poor, big White Dog was actually just doing his (or her job). You see, that is what those dogs (Great Pyrenees) do. It is their JOB!! Really. They are there to protect all the other animals like donkeys, horses, goats, cows, cats... you name it. If you don't 'introduce' the white dogs to other animals, they will more than likely kill it. They are not mean dogs at all, they are protectors. Unfortunately, the domestic ducks were new to the ranch and hadn't been introduced yet. I say we give them an introduction!
Finally, we contain the White Dogs and feed the Duck Family and nice corn dinner and were able to catch a few. That is another pretty good story (LOLLLL) that I'm sure Kendall will share with you later over at the Stoys Story.

Kendall, Brade and Drew doing some duck catching! :)
***No drakes or ducklings were harmed**

4 comments:

Kendall and Brooks said...

hahaha-I am still laughing, what a good memory,

That last picture makes me want to cut my legs off.

Unknown said...

oh gosh! you and Kendall make me laugh so hard!!! Sounds like something I might get into!!!

The Mathis Crew said...

Your "reinactment" of this is hilarious. Thanks goodness for country girls! :)

Mrs. Ventrca said...

Kels...People are going to quit letting you come around their "pets" especially when there are "birds" involved! First, it was Tweety and Sylvester...now its white dogs and a poor little duck, ALL because you and Kendall wanted to "touch" them! I seriously almost tinkled when I read this thinking about your luck with innocent little birds and their attackers!