Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Quickie Bathroom Makeover

After living in our house for over a year now I'm still not 100% satisfied with the decor. Hey, we are newlyweds still, right?? Give us a break! Or are you only considered a newlywed the first year of marriage? I don't know, but there are areas in our house that still need a lot of work like our office, master bedroom, baster bath and guest bath.
Well, I got a reason to work on our guest bath the other day. :) Remember when Kendall and I hosted our very first swap party? I acquired a new shelf 'thingy'-(Thanks Kim for the donation). I don't know what it is called, it is a shelf that has pictures and a mirror in it. I knew the shelf would look great in our guest bath on the empty wall, however it was the wrong shade of green for my lemongrass and mocha brown bathroom.
I painted it brown and here is how it turned out!
I hung it right over the toilet... I hope it doesn't fall on anyone!! And don't our puppies look cute?
I went to Hobby Lobby to find some nick-knacks for the shelf and thought, "What the heck, let's get some fabric and hooks for some drapes." So I did. I am really proud of myself, I can't believe it turned out so well and how inexpensive it was. (If you think it looks like crap, tell me it looks good. OK?)
2 hooks- $5.99/ea.... but 50% off.
3 yards of sheer fabric-$11... but used my 40% off coupon
Total cost for window treatment $12.59+tax. Not bad!!
Gotta love Hobby Lobby for their sales! If you are not a HL shopper, you should be. If you go there and an item is not on sale, STOP and WAIT until the following week and it will be on sale. Seriously! All of their stuff is half off every other week. If you REALLY can't wait print off a 40% coupon from their website.
I think it took me about 5 minutes to put this up and Drew wasn't even here to help. I kind of measured but not really, screwed the hooks in to the wall, and put the fabric over the hooks. Easy peasy! I need to turn the edges under but I don't think it looks that bad. What do you think? I thought about using Witch Stitch but I've never used it before....
The stuff around the sink was already there but that was about it. I Love that little bird house! I think I might fill it with some cheapie, brown wash cloths.


The little gold nick-knacks I also got at HL half off. I bought them to sit on the shelf but they are a smidge too big... :( I think they look cute in the window sill though.
Ahhh!! One more room down.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

It turned out really cute! I need to work on our master bedroom and bath. I am just a loss on what to do in those rooms. Maybe you can come over and do it for me!