Tuesday, April 7, 2009

No, you are not seeing things.

So, tonight I rode (a horse that is) for the first time in a REALLY long time. I can't even remember when the last time I rode was??? I've been thinking about it a lot lately and I really do miss it. I just wonder where I would find the time. For those that don't really know me, I'm a country girl or a cowgirl I guess you could call it. From the time I remember growing up I was riding a horse. I did playdays, barrel races and rodeos up until half way through college and just couldn't find the time anymore. My parents sold my horse and I've been busy living in the real world ever since. Its not that I haven't been around them (horses) or anything... my family and friends still ride and they have offered to let me ride any time I wanted. Maybe it was that I didn't have time or just didn't feel like it. Sometimes it felt like such a chore more than a passionate hobby while growing up. Getting up early to feed, clean stalls, practice, giving up a lot of weekends... Horses are a lot of work. I definitely took all the opportunity for granted and didn't thank my parents enough for all they did. Thanks Mom and Dad!

....back to tonight... Almost every Tuesday if the weather permits there is a barrel race across the street that my mom goes to. Drew and I go watch a lot to cheer for my mom & friends . I just so happened to be wearing my boots and jeans today and Mom asked if I wanted to ride. I said 'yes!' It felt good to be back in the saddle, but I'm nowhere near ready for a rodeo! That would be like asking a retired athlete to run marathon tomorrow. I realized how out of shape I was... I got winded! You use a lot of your core muscles for balance and your legs to hang on... I lost all of those good muscles I used to have. :( More incentive to start riding again, I can get in shape.

Me & Max
(sorry for the poor quality... cell phone pic)
Mom hit a barrel tonight but it was still a really good run. Stay tuned for more riding updates.
p.s. When I came home today my flowers weren't looking so hot. I'm wondering if the freeze got to them last night?? No, I didn't cover them, I know that is what you were thinking. I'm going to be really upset if all my hard work went to waste. I watered them really well. They better perk back up or else!! That is a threat flowers!! Do you hear me????

2 comments:

The Jones' said...

We should ride together sometime :)

Mrs. Ventrca said...

you still look like a natural! Cant wait till your "first" rodeo! I will be there to watch...just like the good ole days!